Tuesday, January 21, 2014

IN AND AROUND THUNG SONG: MORNING MARKET

Up next in my series of local sights is the morning market. I took these photos months ago, on a Saturday morning tooling around on scooters with my friend Vicki. We never wake it up early enough to catch the market in full swing, let alone to figure out what time it kicks off . . . But I do know that Thung Song usually gets going obscenely early, so it's likely the market gets set up around 5 or 6 am.


Fruit lady with apples, grapes, dragon fruit and snake fruit

Mangos, rambutan, grapes, and mangosteen

Fruit stand ; vegetables galore

  Guava, tangerines, and mangosteen

  Flower stand

So many veggies

  I couldn't identify many of these green things

A woman and her vegetables

Bowls of chilies

Gorgeous reds 


The market happens every weekend, but since I have school Monday - Friday at 8 am, I'm not sure if the same market takes place on weekdays as well. I do suspect that there is some type of market every morning though, because most Thais don't cook - they usually go to a market to get fresh takeaway from a cart vendor. This specific morning market didn't have any cart vendors, but it was around noon at the time so it's likely they were there and finished and went home with the crowd. It was quite lovely going late in the morning though, there were hardly any people so we had free range to stroll around, take photos, and not have to deal with the usual stares associated with being the token foreigners. 

No comments:

Post a Comment