Thursday, May 16, 2013

ONLY IN THAILAND. . . [THOUGHTS ON THE SLEEPER TRAIN]

Only in Thailand. . . 
Does a 12 hr sleeper train south cost half as much as a bottle of vodka. 
($15)
 
Note to self: Thai Pringles taste the same as American Pringles. But only if you think Pringles taste about the same as a communion wafer #gross 
I’m almost done with Are You There Vodka it’s Me Chelsea, (who’s been my friend since this adventure started and I had no friends, now I had to leave said friends to move to my job), my train snacks taste like shit and I’m sweating my balls off if I had any. This must be what culture shock (or as I like to call it, PTSD) feels like. 
What if I fall out of my upper bunk? 
Okay, okay, happy thoughts. I spoke broken Thai/broken English with two Thai men while waiting for the train. There was the primary converser and his brother (I think?). The conversation went something like this: 
Thai man: where you going?
Me: Nakohn Si Thammarat 
Thai man: ohhhh Nakohn Si Thammarat 
. . . 
[long pause]
Me: same train?
Thai man: *smiles and nods* (this happens often here. It does NOT mean they agree, understand, or are saying yes.)
Me: you too? 
. . .
Me: you go to Nakohn also?
. . .
Thai man: No, No, Hat Yai 
Me: ohh, Hat Yai! *smiles and nods* 
. . .
[long pause
. . .
Thai man: you go alone? 
Me: no, no no, with a group (I am going on the train alone, but not about to tell anyone that) 
Thai man: ohhhh
. . .
[long pause
. . .
Thai man: what place(?) you going?
Me: Nakohn Si Thammarat. 
[Thai man looks confused]
Me: Toom song? (Not sure that’s even how you say it?)
Thai man tries again. Still sounds the same. I look confused. He gestures at his friend. They speak Thai 
Thai man 2: What (place) you go? 
… *still confused*
Thai man: Why you go?
Thai man 2: What you do ? 
Me: Oh! I’m teaching English 
[They exchange glances. I try again]
Me: Teach English. At school 
Them: ohhh! 
[big smiles]
Thai man: you English teacher!
Me: [nods and smiles] Yes! 
. . .
[long pause
. . .
Me: you go to Hat Yai too? (To the second man
Thai man 2: No no 
. . .
[long pause
. . .
Thai man 2: I here. Hua Hin. You here? 
Me: yes, I was in Hua Hin. 
Thai man: He … *gestures* my brother (?
[He says something in Thai. I repeat it.]
Thai man: yes yes good 
[I can only assume he said the Thai word for brother]
Thai man 2: you come back? 
Me: Maybe?  
. . .
[Thai people like to know you like their country and you’re enjoying yourself. I decide to lie]
. . .
Me: Yes! I visit Hua Hin 
Thai man: my brother, his number
[Thai man 2 takes out his phone]
The first guy’s train is called. We shake hands and smile and say goodbye. I wai at them as he wais back.  Lots of nodding and smiling and saying goodbye.
I turn away. 10 minutes later the second guy hands me his phone. It has his number in it. I write it in my phone.
Me: what is your name? 
Thai man 2: Bahpawn
Me: Bahpawn
Bapawn: [nods and smiles really big]
Me: [gestures at myself] Nikki
Bahpawn: Nikki! 
[We shake hands and wai]
Bahpawn: you . . . [gestures to phone]
Me: you want my number? 
[Bahpawn nods and smiles]
So I call him, because I can’t remember my Thai number.
Bahpawn then proceeds to tell me that when I come back he will show me around Hua Hin. 
At least I think that’s what he said? Idk I may have signed up to be this guys’ wife. 
But seriously, this was an old Asian man. He was harmless and smiled a lot. And very nice. Thais are extremely hospitable. They will take you in if you asked for it. I think he was being friendly.
In any case, I probably won’t ever return to Hua Hin as lovely (and simultaneously dirty, smelly, and hot as all Thai cities are) as it was. I’ve got bigger fish to fry.

No comments:

Post a Comment